Welcome to The Sassy Swan! I have been contemplating starting a blog since the new year began – a place to document many of my life’s activities – and decided to finally bite the bullet and Carpe Diem. So, Happy Groundhog Day to all AND happy first post day to me!
I’ve created this blog to share several important aspects of my life that I hold pretty dear – Good food, friends & family (dogs included), & fitness (trials and tribulations), as well as the not so dear but still important random ideas, thoughts, and opinions about the world around me. I am in no way a chef or an exercise guru but I do come armed with a sarcastic humor and wit that will hopefully keep you coming back.
As mentioned in my “About” section, I hail from the great state of New York – and no, not the city. Believe it or not, New York is a pretty large state full of other areas aside from Manhattan (shocking, right) and Buffalo is actually one of these fabled towns. Although I am from a much smaller town south of that area – Buffalo is typically the area I use to illustrate to my Southern friends where I am from. It is far easier to just say I am from Buffalo than have to deal with people looking at me funny with a tilted head and a drawl replying “Now, where’s that exactly…?”. For all you who care, Jamestown (place of birth) is located here.
That being said, we Western New Yorker’s LOVE our chicken wings. It’s an art really – the perfect wing – and nothing to be taken lightly. It should be noted that Buffalo chicken wings essentially have their own food group – Buffalo chicken pizza, macaroni & cheese, wraps, shrimp, salads…its never-ending.
Family chicken wing recipes up North are what spaghetti sauce recipes are to Italian families, the recipe is always a sacred and heavily shrouded secret, and your family’s is always the best. Someday, I may share this illusive secret with you but as we are just now getting acquainted, it will have to wait for another time. I am a lady after all…
So what do I do when the craving hits, and I’m trying (oh so hard) not to get caught up in a deep-fried coma that will take me days to recover from? I get my fix in the form of a dip. A dip so delicious that rarely does it last longer than a day in the fridge. So behold my friends, the recipe for Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip (straight from an almost Buffalonian – so you know its legit).
Yields: 8 servings (but whose counting?)
Level: Easy Peasy
- 2 8 oz. packages of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (more if you want it hotter)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix softened cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, and Frank’s hot sauce in a bowl.
- Fold in the cooked chicken and mix well.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a 13×9 in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the mixture – like so:
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese on top is browned and bubbly – Like so:
- LET COOL! This is the most tedious part, but trust me, I have had one too many tongue burns because my lack of patience got the best of me.
- Serve warm with an assortment of delightful goodies such as tortilla chips (my favorite), warmed pita bread, or celery sticks.
For any of you counting, this roughly adds up to about 390 calories per serving. Good news though, this would be lessened if using light or non fat cream cheese, cheddar, and blue cheese.